Flying High.

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Traveling with an infant? You must be high.

This is what I tell myself every time every time I pre-board that jail in the sky. I again repeat it while I am gate checking the car seat, stroller, back pack, and pack and play. This is what I continue saying every time I ask the attendant, "Are we almost there?" To which she answers, "Honey, you just asked me 15 minutes ago." Followed up with, "please stop looking at me like that." I keep repeating it while I ignore the stares from the other passengers when I order that second vodka soda. You get the general idea. Flying with an infant may be actually worse than birthing said infant.

But alas today I am going to embark on my little man's 9th (yes 9th) plane ride in his short 10 months of life. We travel. It's what we do. Even a screaming baby can't keep us grounded for too long. Given that I have crossed the Atlantic alone (don't ask) with a 5 month old, I pretty much consider myself an expert on all things involving baby travel. Here are a few of the things I have learned (most of them the hard way.)
  1. If you can, upgrade. They have to be nicer to you if they think you paid for First Class. The seats are bigger, and the drinks are free. A win, win for everyone.
  2. Don't underestimate the kindness of strangers. While crossing the Atlantic alone with my little one (clearly I'm not over it), I once had so much help from a follow traveler that the gate agent referred to him as my husband. Believe me if he had asked I would have said yes to anything at that point.
  3. Toys, Toys, Toys, and more Toys. Really, bring a bag full, they will go through them all.
  4. A Bjorn works wonders. For the little ones, nothing is greater and it's a killer workout for you.
  5. Cheerios. They are like crack. You can never have enough.
  6. Make sure the baby is drinking or binking on takeoff and landing. This helps with the ear pressure.
  7. If you can afford it, or beg for it at the gate, get an extra seat. Having the car seat on board makes all the difference in the world. Trust me on this one.
  8. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER travel with your infant alone. I have done it 4 times and I have the scars to prove it. It took two of you to make the baby, it takes two travel travel with the baby.

No comments :