The Roly Poly.

Thursday, February 16, 2012




Since so many of you are having some of the same rolling baby issues that we were/are I figured I would give a little update on BG's progress. I am very appreciative for all your advice, and you'll be happy to know I took it, and I {think} it might have worked. (Said while crossing both fingers.) Here is where we are currently at.

So, after 3 days and three long nights of rolling to his stomach and then immediately freaking out, I finally broke down, called the Pedi to get the permission I needed to begin to ignore baby boy as long as I could tolerate to do so. You all were right, (duh) and she confirmed, that if they are strong enough to get to their stomach, than they are strong enough to tilt their head to the side to breathe. Once I was assured that he wasn't going to die (why is this always my first thought?) I decided to think of the whole thing as extended tummy time; something he clearly needs.

Armed with the resolve I needed, I went to bed determined to ignore any cries for flipping, and swearing that I would not (under any circumstances) look at the monitor to watch him flail around so helplessly begging for someone to save him from himself (can you tell I'm a total wimp when it comes to these kind of things?) Needless to say, I was ready...

Of course, you know what happened?

Nothing.

Absolutely nothing.

Around 4am, I turned him on only to find him sleeping soundly on his BACK...

At 6, I did the same, and saw him awake on his side, teetering just to the edge of rolling over, at which point he would plop back down again on his back. He did this about 10 times. You could just envision the dialog that was going on inside that little brain of his:

"really, really want to roll over."
"okay, I'm going to do it."
"just have to flip...."
"WAIT"
"don't do it... if I do it that bitch is just going to leave me here."
"then I will be screaming and spitting, and squirming, and NO ONE will come get me."
"screw that, I'm just gonna lay back down on my back and chew on my toes."

And so on....

That lasted for a few days, until this morning, when the unthinkable happened. I woke up in a panic at 6:45 because I didn't hear him at all during the night. When I looked at him on the monitor, I had the hardest time seeing his face. At first I thought it was just the lighting, but then I realized it was because I was looking at the back of his head. The kid was sleeping on his stomach!!!!

Of course, at first I thought he was dead, and immediately ran into his room to see if he was breathing... he was, and continued to hang out on his stomach while I made his bottle. Sweet baby Jesus.... it's a miracle!

If only to show off, earlier this morning, not only did he roll onto his stomach to play, but the freaky little genius then rolled back onto his back err the hardwood floor.... oops. Looks like my baby flipping days may have come to an end.

May the force be with all of you still night flipping... if my lazy baby can do it... anyone can!

P.S. How is it that kids can sleep almost anywhere, anyway? The picture above of that baby sleeping just cracks me up. I wonder what age it is that you lose that ability? Must be some kind of baby superpower!






1 comment :

Rob and Amber said...

That picture cracks me up!!

Glad things are back to good! Christian rolled over last night to his tummy, got his leg caught through the crib slat, and screamed. Sigh. And then he never went back to sleep. Well, he did but it took extraordinary measures (read: putting him bed with us, which I am not a fan of... desperate times call for desperate measures, I guess.) And that is also because I am convinced I will suffocate him. I dunno if it's another tooth coming in or that he just learned to sit up on his own, but it's really hard to let him cry when his crib is 2 inches from your bed and it's 3am. Thank God we'll be moving to a bigger space in April. ANYWAY... way to go Mama! I love that you called the ped - I had to do that too with Christian about the crying it out and begging her to tell me the secret of why he won't go to sleep at night. It's getting better.