Boys, Furniture, and Anxiety.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

 I have been at a stand still trying to figuring out what I want to do in the soon to be boy's room. I know the general look I am going for, but the one thing that has been holding me back is deciding what furniture I want to use and what we have left to buy. I'd like to incorporate as many pieces as I can of what we already own, but there is no way around having to purchase two twin beds. I don't know about you all, but for me, the initial furniture purchase is the hardest part of designing a room. Maybe it's because it's typically the most expensive, or the hardest to hide if you screw it up, but for some reason I swear I have a mental block the second it is decision time. I'll take pillows, bedding, paint, rugs, pictures, you name it, any day of the week over trying to find the right dresser or bed frame.

What I thought I wanted all along was a fabric headboard, with a simple bed frame. The only question in my mind was tufted or un-tufted, nail heads or not, shape/ size... etc. My girlfriend had turned me on to Ballard Designs, which was definitely the cheapest and best option to get exactly what I was looking for. I was sold after looking at images like these. 



When I was sorting through fabrics, I got to thinking that maybe this wasn't the best option for my boys. I began to question the durability of a fabric bed, given my little Tasmanian devils, and I really only want to buy twin beds once, given that they probably only have a 10 year life span (when your dad is 6'3" you might need a bigger bed sooner rather than later.) This is also their main play area, and I wanted them to have furniture that was a rough as they can sometimes be. 

So began my quest for actual twin beds. I went to the usual sources PBK, Serena and Lily, Land of Nod, and didn't really see anything I liked. Everything was either very "boy" or "girl" or very stock kids room furniture (read bulky) and the beds I sourced from more modern designers were WAY out of my price range. Then, while ordering one of those letter pillows Land of Nod is famous for, I stumbled upon this bed





It either wasn't available when I looked prior, or I missed it under the 10,000 layers of accessories it was buried under, but either way it's perfect and coming in at 800$ (which I got an additional 15% off during last week's sale) it is exactly what I have been looking for. I love the midcentury design, and the vintage feel. I think this is going to be perfect when paired with their current dresser, which right now is white, but may be red after I get my hands on it!

Now that I have ordered the beds, I can picture exactly what this room is going to look like. I love when that happens! The room makeover is what the boys are getting for Christmas, so it will be a few months before I can put it all together, but I am so excited to see the final result when it all comes together!!! Well, that, and the fact that we are less than a year away from a guest room. Book your tickets now ;)

No comments :