Flora and Fauna.

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

 Lately I've found myself drawn to the same images, of the same rooms, over and over (and over and over and over...) While the spaces share a similar design aesthetic, the only common denominator (aside from a fair amount of pattern and texture) is the incredible greenery that each room share. 









I don't know about you, but I've always been a bit afraid of houseplants, given my black thumb, and I figured that if a plant is hard to keep alive, then what am I going to do to an actual tree? Also, I figured that these tree /plants were probably very expensive, and that you could only have them in a space where you have direct sunlight (which we don't.) After giving myself a pep talk that if I can take care of, and keep alive, two feral children, and their rodents, then I should have no problem taking care of a plant. Last night, the kids and I drove over to our local garden center and just "look" and we quickly fell in love with a tree that the LM dubbed "Molly." Turns out Molly was not expensive (a mere 40 dollars), nor is she difficult to maintain. She needs to be watered once a week, and doesn't need direct sunlight. 

Who knew?

Behold our new addition.



Last night the kids and I came home and re-potted her, and she found herself at home in this basket in our living room. I am amazed at the amount of life she brings in to the whole room, and you can really see her from every angle in our first floor living space. It really is a remarkable difference, and for the price you can't beat it. I've recently ordered a new souk rug for under the dining room table, and I can't wait to share the final result with you in a few weeks. Some of our friends may notice the new white drapes in the corner. After hating our drapery since the day we moved in, I finally decided to do something about it. Our ceilings are incredibly high, which makes things like this excruciatingly painful to switch out. I found these inexpensive panels, and had two sewn together at our local dry cleaners, for a fraction of the cost of one new panel, we had new drapery for the room! Now, with the addition of Ms. Molly, the whole area is so light and airy, and I'm left wondering... what was I so afraid of? 

Are you like me? Are you a plant phobic? I'll be sure to let you all know how the old girl fares!


No comments :