Why I Blog.

Friday, November 14, 2008

Yummy mummy has hit the big time! Yesterday there was an enormous spike in my generally steady reader numbers. After a little digging on my analytics and some IP following I learned that I did not become famous overnight (a girl can dream can't she?) but rather my blog has been discovered by my friends from my former work life, this is to be expected when you write about your former fabulous boss. I have never hid the fact that I write this blog, and I am very proud of what I send out daily into the blogosphere. That being said I would like to welcome all my readers, new and old. 

Having the knowledge that everyone from every facet of my life is now in tune with what I am writing has made me consider why I write this blog. I feel as though I am sometimes forced to defend why I share my personal life with the entire world to some of my friends and family members (you know who you are). The truth is that I love writing and I love the blogging community that I feel as though I am now becoming a part of. Beyond that there are a number of other reasons why I write. Here are just a few.
  1. Being a stay at home mom is really hard. Ask anyone, it's a very lonely, thankless job without a lot of adult communication (if any!) Writing this blog and being able to connect with people all over the world at any given time really makes me feel like I am still part of the human race. For those of you without kids this may be hard to understand. To put it in perspective think about the times that you are home sick and you have a ton of time on your hands and you have something that you want to talk about, but you can't. Why? Because EVERYONE is working! They don't have time to hear about the ins and outs of your day, and the fact is that to them it's probably a bit boring. That is pretty much my life every day. Wile I wouldn't trade it for the world, I definitely felt very isolated at times. The blog changed that for me. Being able to talk about whatever it is that you want, any time you want is amazingly freeing. For those of you who know me, I am a bit of a talker so this is priceless!
  2. I need a creative outlet. Most of the time I feel like I have mommy brain. For those of you who don't know, mommy brain is where you can think of nothing else but your child. Writing for me is like working. It allows me to think. While a good portion of the time I end up writing about my little man, at least here it is done by choice. 
  3. Grammar and Spelling don't count. I love to write. A writer I am not. I'm sure those of you who are avid readers of my blog have noticed this. One of my favorite parts of writing this blog is that grammar and spelling don't seem to count for much. While I'm sure people notice my flubs, it seems that ideas are what keep you all coming back, and for that I thank you for not being too hard on YM.
  4. My little man is a sleeper. BELIEVE ME I am not complaining about this. The little man takes 2, two hour naps a day. The only catch? I have to be completely silent. No footsteps, no knocking around, no phone conversations. Nothing. Other than the computer my only other option is to watch an insane amount of TV. Since I limit myself to 6 TiVo'd shows a week, this is my pick. 
  5. The new world of mommyhood that I have become immersed in is fascinating! What used to be so foreign to me is now part of my daily existence. I love sharing my stories, and in return hearing everyone else's. This is not limited to those with kids. I love hearing from my bloggers single, married, with and without kids, and even a few of you guys who read and comment on my blog! 
  6. It is fun. If you can't make fun of yourself than you open yourself up to everyone else making fun of you.
The bottom line is that I am almost thirty years old. I feel as though I have spent a good part of the last 25 years trying to fit in or please those around me; something we all do. Since having my little man I have learned what it feels like to have unconditional love and acceptance even if it comes from someone who is of little words. That motivates me to try to keep that feeling in all parts of my life and in all my relationships and daily interactions. This blog allows me to express who I am, and what I feel without seeking approval or reaction. For that reason alone I will keep writing, and I hope those of you out there will keep reading!


11 comments :

Jean said...

Well I'm really glad you blog because I enjoy reading your posts! I'm going to add you to my blogroll, so there!

We Are Not Martha said...

All fabulous reasons! I started blogging as a creative outlet and now I've met SO many awesome people who I've become really close to. Blogging has definitely changed my life :)

Sues

Anonymous said...

Again, I really love your blog and look forward to reading it every night. I have been following for a while and your writing gets better and better. Who knows? This could be the begining of bigger things. It's great that you have something that you are so passionate about. You should
be proud.

Tamar Chansky said...

Yes! Great post! Isn't it so good for our mommy brains to give them a rest every once in a while, and of course it is good for us as parents to do things that are meaningful and satisfying to us-- because isn't that what we want our kids to do too?

Tamar Chansky
www.freeingyourchild.com

Ms. Katee/e-polishblog said...

Umm, I blog about nail polish. So I know all about having to defend what I do! I do it because it is fun. And anyone that does not like it can go fug off. Keep on blogging YM!

Robin M Anderson said...

I can't thank you all enough for your kind words. See THIS is why I love blogging!

xoxo
ym

Anonymous said...

THAT is the most heart felt blog I've read....keep it up! Carrie and I love reading it! Hi....from Colorado!

Deep said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deep said...

Dont be hard on yourself.. but hey u have lot of time in your life which i love to have..

Great Blog Keep it going

http://deepakkrishnamurthy.blogspot.com/

TheOnlineStylist said...

Hey YM... Just been catching up! Your Starbucks Adventure in What Not To Wear made me laugh... only because I've done it myself! And I bet you didnt look as bad as you thought anyway! Hope the sick and poo has all gone away and youre all feeling better. That is the worst - I hate when Small Child get sick. Colds and stuff I can handle - its when it starts coming out of every oriface that makes me want to run for the hills!
I totally agree on your blog writing reasons - it's a whole other community out there that can be tapped into just by sharing what goes on inside your head! You should be proud of your blog - it's a great read and some of my non-cyber friends now read you too! x

Susan Johnston Taylor said...

I am all for blogging. I think it's even better than journaling, because it allows you to connect with other people, in many cases people that you wouldn't otherwise "meet." Plus, it's a great creative outlet.