The First, Last Day.

Friday, June 8, 2012

 Today was the LM's last day of his 3rd year of pre-school. It dawned on me last night, that this was actually his first, last day of school. Like clockwork, in the years prior, the kid would wake up really sick on the morning of his final day.I always felt so bad for him, thinking he was missing all kinds of activities, and goodbyes. Well, I learned to today, that we really weren't missing much; just a really sad day.

I know we are going back to the school next year (thereby delaying kindergarten another year) but today really felt like the end of an era. Most of his close friends will be going off to other schools next year, and for the first time I really connected with his teachers, as did the LM. I can only imagine that these type of goodbyes are going to get harder and harder as he continues to make more connections as he gets older, and I suppose I am going to have to find way to detach myself a little more successfully than I did today. 

On the way home, when I asked him if he was sad about leaving school, he said, "not really, I'm going to see my friends again, and next year I will see my teachers when I go to the bathroom, so it's okay. But really, Gray is my best friend and he's always home, so I don't have to say goodbye to him ever."

Damn straight kid. Damn straight. 


I'm thinking next year it would be nice to skip the last day, again. Clearly, I'm not very good at goodbyes. Lucky for me, my 4 year old seems to always say the right thing, at the right time.  

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Awwww...4 is the best age, they're just so sweet.
Today was James' last day of pre school too. I cried over saying goodbye to teachers and friends and because of the big smile on his face when he said he was ready for kindergarten. He's ready to move on but I'm not.
Happy summer!
Andrea