Our 7 Favorite Summer Recipes

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

GRILLED CORN WITH QUESO FRESCO, LIME & CHILI
It is 90 degrees outside and I for one could not be more excited about the sudden uptick in temperatures! After the winter we've just had I am more than happy to spend the next 4 months sweating all day and every day, and for everyone already complaining about the heat just remember one word; snow!!!


For us the warmer temps mean long nights at the park, and even longer late night ice cream runs (and by late I mean 7pm ;). This is great for the boys, but not so awesome for the cook in the family... me. We aren't huge proponents of AC which means that if I were to even dare to turn on the oven, our home would instantly feel like the face of the sun. Over the past few years I've made it my mission to find a few recipes and sides that require little more than some heat from the stove top and I will often mix and match them all season long with pre-made veggie/ salmon burgers, and tacos. Because I too want to get on the fun, everything I make during these warmer months needs to require little prep and even less cooking time. In addition, the minute the temperature rises I find myself craving all the tastes of the season which includes corn, peaches, watermelon, and avocado. It's no surprise that these are things that we can't really get fresh and local the rest of the year so it only makes sense that we try to get as much as them this time of year as we can. These recipes really take advantage of those flavors which is probably why they are our favorites!

I figure that we are in good company when it comes to cooking in the warmer months so I thought I'd share seven of our favorite summer recipes below. I'm always on the lookout for more, so if you have something that is your go-to during these next few months please feel free to share in the comments!

CHILI LIME SHRIMP TACOS WITH STRAWBERRY, AVOCADO, MANGO SALSA
WATERMELON  GAZPACHO
WATERMELON AND ARUGULA SALAD WITH FETA AND CHILE VINAIGRETTE
SPAGHETTI ALLA VONGOLE
STEAMED MUSSELS WITH WINE, GARLIC, & PARSLEY 
PORTOBELLO AND PEACH BURGER

P.S. If you'd like, here are more recipes from this series




1 comment :

Revival said...

Yummy! I'm visiting my family up here and finally tried Craigie on Main last night. Delish!!