Okay, Okay... Boston CAN Do Halloween.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

For the past few years my girlfriends have been begging me to stay in town to experience a true Boston Halloween. See, the Little Guy and I always head to California, back to my home town, which, for all these years, I have been convinced was the best spot for trick-or-treating with kids. I would say, "no, you just don't understand how great it is there," and each year they would assure me that I was missing out on the best part of the season.

I learned this year that they were absolutely right, and I was 100% wrong.

I was wrong to think that you had to go to a culdesac in the suburbs for "true" trick-or-treating. Wrong to think that it was better to venture out in the warmer California temps, than in the typical icy New England ones. Wrong to think that the city was some sort of dangerous place to knock on doors.

In short, I was wrong, wrong, wrong.

Well, thankfully this year I stuck around, and I found that unequivocally, and without a doubt, Boston can do Halloween.

... And I have proof.









We started our adventure downtown, at the Clarendon park, where we met up with our "crew" which consisted of a shark, a chicken, a fighter pilot, a kitty, and my little man (the firefighter.) There was pizza, hayrides, glow sticks, and most importantly a list of the "safe" houses that were participating in the  nightly festivities. As soon as the sun began to set we started our journey of trick-or-treating our way over to Beacon Hill, which truly was like nothing I have ever seen. Every door was open, and every house was lit up. The kids were about a dozen deep on both sides of the street, and every house was decorated to the nines. It took us about an hour to make it one block, considering the stops for haunted houses, cotton candy, and of course a Starbucks run (a necessity considering it got down to about 30 degrees) but we weren't complaining one bit. I kept remarking that I couldn't believe that such a safe and fun event was taking place in the heart of the city, but I guess when you live in one of the best cities in the world, nothing should be surprising ;). 

My girls have said it year, after year, and now that I have seen it for my self. I can truly say, there is no place like Beantown on Halloween!

I hope you all had as much fun as we did, and that your little ones saved some candy some of that yummy candy for Mom and Dad!

2 comments :

Yummy Mummy said...

boston halloween looks like tons of fun! looks like such a beautiful city- definitively on my list of places to visit on my next holiday across the pond! :) and you little man; TOO.CUTE.FOR.WORDS! :)

Mary said...

Yes - Boston is a fabulous place for Halloween! I am in the suburbs now, although not in your typical cul-de-sac type of neighborhood. It's a different feel than trick-or-treating in the city for sure, but still tons of fun out in the country!

I am new to your blog and will be back. I am a mom of an almost-4-year-old little boy (and a 1-yr-old) and live outside of Boston too. Think we may have some things in common. :-)