Shopping Moratorium.

Monday, February 2, 2009

You heard it here first. I, Yummy Mummy, hereby impose a three month shopping moratorium on myself. Yep, myself

Why would I take such drastic measures? 

This is the first thing even The Husband asked. I think it's mainly because I am just all shopped out. This moratorium of course assumes that I have already purchased the items under Maui Wowi (wink) and would then forbid any future purchases until May 1. Even then the only purchase that I will approve would be the Birthday BV bag and wallet until the end of the Summer. Yes, I said the end of the summer.

Reading my blog you have certainly realized that I like to shop. Really, what fashionista in training doesn't? What I don't like is shopping just to obtain items. In fact I really hate having a lot of stuff, even if that "stuff" is some really amazing clothes. What I like is finding something that I love, something that I can't live without, something that says to me that it must be mine. That is how I get my shopping high. 

Recently, given the state of the economy there has been some amazing deals. Deals that even I couldn't turn down. All of a sudden I had so much new "stuff" that I felt as though I haven't been able to take the time to fully appreciate it all. This is mainly due to the fact that most of what I  recently purchased is off season. Don't get me wrong. I love the vest and gladiator sandals, all the Gilt pieces (sans Walter dress which didn't fit), and I certainly will love the Intermix pieces. I think what I need is just some time alone with them. 

I also have considered that the money that I save from my monthly alloted "shopping budget" (again self imposed) would easily cover the BV bag leaving the Husband with no real argument against its purchase. It would also aleviate any of the gilt usually comes after we make a big purchase that it just for my enjoyment. So win, win for me.

As with any rule there of course needs to be some exceptions. Here are mine.
  1. If I happen to get preggars I am going to need a white pair of maternity jeans for summer. I pop early so these may need to be purchased sometime in May.
  2. Agin if I am preggars I will need some maternity T's. These will come from the Gap and are a basic necessity.
  3. The little man needs a full summer wardrobe, although this isn't for me I do love shopping for him. However, he is largely outfitted by Old Navy so this won't put a huge dent in the wallet. 
So this will be my last "shopping" post for a while. I may even add a tracker just for fun so you can see if I am sticking to the plan. Of course there are going to be things I "lust" after which will need to be discussed, even if they will never grace my wardrobe.

I can do this, I can do this..............


11 comments :

Me said...

Good for you!

Though, don't be afraid to stimulate the economy!

Robin M Anderson said...

Believe me I've done my fair share....maybe a few other's shares too!

Anonymous said...

wow, good for you! you're a better woman than me :) though, the hubs and i just bought a house so we're much more "frugal" these days!

Ally W said...

I'm so inspired...but not there yet! Wow, YM...you go! I'd love to say I could do the same...but I so couldn't. But I love how you talk about not enjoying lots of stuff and just having a few pieces to love! I'm striving to be like that...I think it would make for a much happier Ally (and hubby)...not to mention the amt of laundry I do and how upset I get when I buy something not great quality and it shrinks, frays, etc...
Put your counter up and you go girl! We are all supporting you...and if you were to slip up (let's say a little something else for Maui) no one will wave it in your face...just get back on that horse!
xo

Eloise said...

Wow! Even I am impressed! As you'll know by now, I too am a minimalist loving, good quality objects only kind of girl..........so I completely understand where you're coming from. However, 3 months?! That's an awfully long time! I raise my glass to you YM, but please know that if you do slip we will be nothing short of understanding, and proud all the same xxx

April Elizabeth said...

Good luck. I could not handle it. Strangely enough I posted this on a site I co-author. Confessions of an EX shopaholic. Heh.

My road to recovery has been rocky.

April Elizabeth said...

also, can i have a guilt invite? aprilhagsmail@gmail.com

Julie Q said...

let's see how long you can do this for! It will be totally motivating for moi

Boston Bride said...

very impressed! Good luck, I'm rooting for ya.

lunarossa said...

I'm totally behind you, but don't get stressed about it. Remember that all good resolutions are more fun if you break them a little. Ciao. Antonella

Robin M Anderson said...

Awwwwwww you guys are so supportive!!! I also love how well you know me and how you have already given me an out ;). I can do this.......I can do this......I can do this.....