Shouldn't I Get a Bronze Coin or Something?

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Today is the day people. Today marks the 30 day anniversary since my last purchase. Applause, cheers, standing ovation. I know,  I can hardly believe it myself. Thirty whole days. Thirty days of window shopping without buying. Thirty days of ignoring the Gilt sales. Thirty days of turning a blind eye to all the spring and summer fashions that have hit this month. Yes, thirty long days. 

In the end, I can't take all the credit. The weather has had a lot to do with my successful moratorium. It's just been so damn cold, so I haven't really needed any new clothes. Also, the amazing spread of summer/Maui clothes that I bought pre-moratorium has also contributed to my lack of desire for all things shiny and new. 

Now, that I have made it a full month it is now a challenge to myself  to see how long I can keep this thing going. They always say the first thirty days are the hardest, so I may have made it though the worst of it. Don't get me wrong it hasn't been easy. The only upswing to this recession is the amazing deals that can be scored out there in the fashion world. It really is crazy, at some places it seems like they are giving this stuff away. But my desire to save and appreciate what I already have, has pulled me though the tough times and I take pride in the fact that have been able to walk away empty handed (usually with a smile on my face.) 

I also must now confess that the last purchase that I made was the Maui Intermix items that I had been lusting after for so long. I got the dress, got the caftan, and the DVF bikini too. I told The Husband last night just in case he wanted to send it all back prior to the cutoff date for a full refund (never). After I mentioned that it had been thirty days since my beloved items somehow made their way to my house, and since I have been such a good girl ever since, he said they are now officially mine. Yay! 

My goal is to make it at least 90 days. May the force be with me. 

My name is Yummy Mummy and I may no longer be a shopaholic.


9 comments :

Me said...

Yay! Congrats to you!!!

Angie said...

That's amazing. Since getting laid off in December, my shopping has gone down to 1 or 2 items a month.. and I actually have more money saved NOW then when I was working full time! I had a serious shopping problem, maybe the layoff was my 'intervention'. ;) It's really difficult to ignore the Rue La La sales though.

Eloise said...

Wow, I am seriously impressed!
BTW, I'm hebb76 on Twitter (just added you to my follow list)x

Anonymous said...

Question, Yummy Mummy. Did you ban all things "shop" related such as makeup and beauty products or just clothing/apparel? I would like to start a similar "ban" however am not sure I could give up new products...

lunarossa said...

The other day I went to see the movie "Confessions of a Shopaholic" and I thought of you. Mainly because of the girls's joy in buying and enjoying what she bought and starting from the beginning again...and because of your pledge to resist shopping...Well done. Ciao. A.

Robin M Anderson said...

The "ban" covers all non essential beauty products. If I run our of my face cream or foundation I will replace it, but this season's hottest lip gloss? Nope. It is good because it is actually forcing me to clean out my makeup bag and use up some older products.

I know, I know....I am such a recessionista!

xoxo
ym

Robin M Anderson said...

lunarosa- I love that you thought of me! I too saw the movie and it was such motivation to keep going!!!

xoxo
ym

Jean said...

Well done YM, I think you've even surprised yourself! That's a real accomplishment.

TheOnlineStylist said...

God you are doing soooo good! I am bowing down in a "Wayne's World we're not worthy" kind of way! Everytime I pass the shops I see beautiful spring fashions and I can't wait for the sun to come out to play! I cannot say I have not shopped for 30 days... maybe 13 days! I'm saving up for the 40th/5 year wedding anniversary trip to London in May... Selfridges here I come!! UK equivalent of Bloomies I reckon!