If I'm Going To Be Cold I Might As Well Sparkle Like a Christmas Tree.

Monday, August 2, 2010

The significant drop in the temperature this weekend reminded me of one very sad fact about my life that I have spent the last 3 months (with every fiber of my being) trying to forget, I live in New England and soon it is again going to be cold outside. Not just cold, mind you, but unbearably cold, and not just soon, but very, very, VERY soon. "Some" people around here think that fall is the best season because it means you get to be your most fashionable self. I am not one of those people. That being said I have been doing a little shopping in preparation for the big chill and of course I am going to share with you my new (and favorite) finds for the upcoming season.

This year, when it comes to my style, I have a new motto which reads, "If I'm going to be cold I might as well sparkle like a Christmas tree." Yes, I am moving away from my love of all things neutral and classic and adding a touch of pizazz to my wardrobe this fall. Don't start to panic, I did say just a touch, and in keeping with my tradition of buying pieces that are virtually seasonless, I have only added a few things that have some sparkle or embellishment on them to try to spice up my mood during the colder months. Some of these pieces I picked up early in the summer, and while they were "fall intended" they have served me quite well through these warmer months.

So without further ado here is what I will be wearing this fall.


As you can see, I'm all about texture this fall. I love the draping on the cashmere sweater, and the sparkle on the nautical tee and dressy short. The buckles and studs on the boots add another dimension, and the calf hair belt and chiffon blouse with the flower detail just brings it to a whole new level for me. While these pieces look very much like separates, I can assure you that I will be mixing and matching everything on this page. I like to keep the bottom pretty basic and this year it is all about J Brand for me. I plan on living in their "jeggings" and the Houlihans (the zippered cargo) have become my number one  favorite thing in my wardrobe.


I have to say I am pretty impressed with myself this year with my fall "haul." Rather than waiting for the weather to turn, like I usually do, this year I made my fall purchases in the spring and summer which means that other than the belt and the motorcycle boots (which never seem to go on sale) there isn't one item that I paid full price for. In fact most items were purchased for more than 50% off. I have provided the links below for the items above, but please trust me when I say that even though some of these items are still listed at full price, I did not, DID NOT, pay that.*

Why oh why don't I live somewhere that is hot all year round? Note to self: MOVE!

Links (clockwise from top left)
Sweater: Michael Kors (mine is in gray and was 1/6th of this listed price but is nowhere online)
Nautical Tee Shirt: J. Crew 
Belt: J. Crew
Blouse with flower detail: ADAM  (mine is in nude)
Boots: Fiorentini + Baker
Cargo Pants: J. Brand
Jeggings: J. Brand
Booties: Loeffler Randall
Shorts: Cynthia Rowley 

*(This disclaimer is mostly intended for my hubby.) If you fall in love with any of these items and want to know where to score them, email me and I will let you know where I found them (most were at stores in the Boston area and at online discounters like Gilt.)

2 comments :

TheOnlineStylist said...

Ooh love Houiihans and that sparkly nautical top is gorgeous! Oncw gain YM your shopping strategy impresses me immensely. You have to be organised with these things!! xxx

Julie Q said...

LOVE that I'm not the only Bostonian who can see winter right around the corner even when its 90 degrees out. You'll be quite the stylista this fall :)