A Big(er) Boy Room.

Friday, June 5, 2009

While we were away on vacation, it hit me that my little man was no longer a baby. He was slowly (and sadly) turning into a "big boy." This got me thinking that maybe his room needed to grow up a bit to catch up with all the things that he is now so very into. The first being Daddy, the second being all things surfing (of course, because that's what Daddy does) and finally anything that has to do with monkeys. 

To that end I decided to do some minor redecorating. I framed some of my favorite beach prints from our trip, purchased a new "surfer" comforter, and built the room around a map we have been pinning and viola! a big(er) boy room is made. Once we figure out how many kids we are having, where they will be sleeping, etc...I can really finish it, but for now I love how colorful it has become. The best part is the little man loves it and is so unbelievably proud to show it off to anyone who walks in the house. 

Here is the before. Very green (a paint picking accident) with a "lamb decor."





Here is the after.


We have begun to create a map of all the little man's travels. He has already been out of the country four times, and has flown quite a bit in country so we figured it would be really cool when he gets older to have this map (hopefully) covered in pins to show what a world traveler he is. 


My favorite pictures from the beach.

And of course the pictures of him and his "Papi" aka Daddy surfing. 

A new bedspread and a framed monkey picture (in the background) really added some color.

He forced me to hang the whale poster we brought back from Maui. Although it's not because he loves whales, he actually thinks they are airplanes. Either way works for me. 

And finally, for my little Grom, a crossing sign for his closet. 


There is still a bit to do here and there, but for my little guy he now has the "big boy" room of his dreams, which is a good thing considering he spends over half of his life dreaming away in there.


11 comments :

Nicole (andover ma) said...

i love the curtains where did you get them? does lm sleep in the big bed? or his crib?

Robin M Anderson said...

I had them made. They are one park white sail cloth Potterybarn Kids curtains and one park green. We have really high ceilings so this was the most affordable way to do this. They have a ton of colors and you really could do any combo, it ended up being a cute way to do it.

He is in a crib, the bed is a leftover from my law school days. We use it when company comes and the guest room isn't enough to handle all the people.

I swear I may keep him in the crib until he is in college (no not really,) but I am VERY hesitant to let him out of his "cage." No midnight wanderers please!!!

Thanks for the comment.

ym

Nicole(andover ma) said...

I have a godson and he is two, his parents just put him in a big bed and for a week straight he would get out of bed and just stand next to his parents bed they would roll over or open their eyes and there he was just standing there quiet as a mouse, it would scare them!! haha he eventually learned !! love your blog!!!

Robin M Anderson said...

You just confirmed my greatest fear! Yep, staying in until he can go to college!!! hehe

Thanks for reading!! Have a great weekend!

Lindsey DC said...

My nieces were in cribs for soooo long with the same worries. Finally my sister put a child-proof door knob in the inside of their door and taught them to play quietly until she opened the door.

Worked great for about six months until they learned how to open the door!

kirwin said...

OMG...Where did you get the Grommet crossing sign?! I didn't even know that Americans also used that phrase! LOL

The whole room is adorable. Great job.

My husband surfs (longboards) but hasn't done it in a while because of where we live. When we (eventually) move back to the central coast, he'll be able to do it again. And out of my 5-year old son and my 3-year old daughter, it's my daughter who is the grom-in-training. She's a ball buster.

Love your blog!

Jo said...

i envy your decorator's touch. the room is lovely.

TheOnlineStylist said...

The room looks great - its amazing how just a few things can change the look without having to go crazy and change everything! He seems to be growing up so fast - unbelievable! Love your map idea - we just bought SC an inflatable globe to show her the places she's been to so far (Spain, Majorca, Bahamas and Switzerland!). I so want her to travel and be worldly wise. Have a fab weekend my lovely Bostonian friend! xx

Tales From My Tire Swing said...

Robin, the room looks great! We are still decorating the baby room for end of August, but I am having so much fun. I found a surfboard growth chart from Ecotots which is pretty cute. http://www.ecotots.com/product/200033 I don't think we need a growth chart just yet, but I thought I would pass it along since it would go nicely with your theme and they have several colors to choose from - search online, I think there are even more than on their website.

Robin M Anderson said...

Kirwin- So glad you like the sign! I'm a former Southern California girl and that phrase is very common! I got it at a surf shop in New Hampshire called cinnamon rainbows, www.cinnamonrainbows.com. The sign was only 20 bucks, I bet they'd ship it to you!

Angie- Thank you so much, and CONGRATULATIONS. I had the little guy in August and while it is hot, the summer is a great time to have a baby. I'm so excited for you! Thanks for the link....that woul dbe perfect for the room. Good luck with the decorating and continued luck with your pregnancy. the mom club is the greatest club in the world so welcome! And let me know if you ever need anything!

TG- Glad you like the room. Now I think I need a globe! the map idea is cool because you can keep track. I wish at 30 I had one! i got it laminated and mounted so hopefully it can last forever. You can bet we will be adding England to that map to see my blogging sister someday!

xoxo
ym

Julie Q said...

Fact: right now I have the same exact pillow cases as LM's before room (green and white stripes).. I was going for the hamptons look lol

my husband is going to love when I point this post out to him!!