A Week In New York

Monday, June 29, 2015

 

I can't believe this is actually happening, but somehow I have managed to get an entire week, ALONE, in New York City. Alone as in NO kids. Alone as in NO husband. Just me, and after work me + one of my best friends.

Here is the back story about how this dream actually became a reality.

When we get back from our time in Costa, our life is a bit of a whirlwind. We arrive at Logan at midnight on a Thursday and the next day we are celebrating Gray's 4th birthday, and it's the day before my sister gets married. We have a brunch, nails, rehearsal, rehearsal dinner. You know the drill. Then the next day I'm getting up bright and early to set up the big day, and somewhere in-between get ready myself, all the while trying to remember my maid of honor duties. The wedding ends at 8:30pm and then we are quickly heading back to town because the next day, I'm driving the LM and some of his skateboard buddies down to Pennsylvania for a week of overnight skateboard camp. Yes, this is a VERY big deal for him, and as much a VERY big deal for us.

The plan had always been that I would make the 7 hour drive, then overnight near the camp, check in the next day with the boys, and then drive back home by myself. Well, my husband pushed an upcoming surgery he's having (more on this later) so my in-laws will be extending their stay (they house sit for us when we are away) and will be willing and able to stay with Gray while I'm gone. The week after drop off I was going to pick the overnight crew up in New Jersey after they take a bus from camp. Well, everyone got to talking and it was mentioned that it might just make more sense for me to stay somewhere down south to avoid all that travel.

You know the wheels in my head started to spin and there is one place that is in-between Pennsylvania and Boston, that is also near New Jersey, that just so happens to house one of my favorite people in the world, my SIL, who just so happens to have a spare bedroom in the heart of the city.

You all can see where this is going, right?

I carefully floated the idea to all parties involved, and much to my surprise and delight I was informed that this was in fact a great plan. My in-laws get a week alone with Gray and my hubby, the LM gets taken to camp, and I can spend as much time as he'd like getting him settled, I don't have to drive 15 hours in a 24 hour period and I GET A WEEK ALONE IN NYC!!!!

Clearly I'm not excited at all.

So here is where you come in. I'd love to know what you would do if you had a week in the city without any kids. I was given this fabulous opportunity a few years back when I was VERY pregnant with Gray, and I did as much as one person could. Since I was about 9,0000 weeks pregnant I waddled the Met, ate the corn at Cafe Habana while exploring Nolita. I checked out all of Madison avenue and of course, inhaled everything at all my favorite restaurants (what else is a pregnant girl to do?) saw a movie, and slept. A lot.

I want this trip to be the exact opposite of that.

Seriously.

Last time I was having so afraid of having the baby in the city while my husband was away with the LM that I was afraid to venture too far away from my room in the West Village. (Funny story, I did actually think I was going into labor during the Alexander McQueen exhibit at the Met, and sat on the floor in the corner for about thirty minutes to try to figure out what to do. Talk about a bizarre place to contemplate whether or not you are having a baby!) But this time, all bets are off! I feel like when I go to the city I always frequent the same areas. The West Village, SoHo, TriBeCa, the Meatpacking area, and Gramercy. Obviously I plan to spend my fair share of time in these neighborhoods (um, because they are awesome) but I would like to explore a little more of the city.

Places like Brooklyn. I cannot believe I've never been to Brooklyn!!! I have been wanting to go to Pok Pok ever since I saw it featured on a Bourdain years ago, and I still can't believe I've never been. I'm also dying to go to MoMa, still kicking myself for missing out on the rain exhibit a few years back. Even though I've been a few times I still will have to get in a trip to my favorite place in the city, AIRE but other than that I'm at a loss. What should I do? I'm dying to walk the High Line, but would that be fun if you were by yourself? I am such a creature of habit I feel like if I don't have a plan I'll just revery back to what I know and love. Sure, that would be a great week, but I really want to try to experience more of the city.

So tell me. Where should I go? What should I eat. Honestly, nothing is too adventurous. Are cronuts still a thing? Should I wake up early and get some for the team at my SIL's work? Any thoughts on what to do in Brooklyn? What neighborhoods should I absolutely not skip? I have this dream of day drinking there, exactly like this, and am thinking I may need my SIL along for that ride (if only so I make it home ;)) Should I get a citi bike and just explore?  Please tell me your dream week, or what your favorite places in the city are. You know I'll be blogging from down there and will be sure to pass on my favorites!

No comments :