Oh The Places You'll Go

Wednesday, June 3, 2015


Every year I have the greatest intentions of capturing the day to day minutia with regards to the boys, and every year I find myself coming up a little short.

I always have big plans for things like taking a picture on the first day of every month, or even the first and last day of school, and every year I somehow forget to do whatever it was I had planned. I remember when Gray was born I was dedicated to taking a picture in the same spot every morning to create a little flip book of his first year of life, and looking back I think I have a total of about 5 pictures before I missed a day and gave up. (Sleep deprivation seems to have forgetfulness as a side effect!) I figure that between this blog and the 100,000 pictures I have that are currently taking up all the space of my hard drive, their childhood will be adequately documented but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like to create at least one special (and tangible) memento from their childhood. 

A few years back I got the idea from somewhere (I cannot for the life of me remember where) to have their teachers write a little note in the Dr. Suess book Oh The Places You'll Go on the last day of each school year. When they graduate from high school I will present to them the book, and they will be able to look back at all the wonderful things that were said about them from pre-k through twelfth grade. I thought this was such a sweet idea, and I immediately bought two copies. 

True to form I actually forgot to have them signed last year, but this year with the help of my trusty iCal I remembered (!!!) and I was even able to track down a few notes from their teachers from years passed. It's such a little thing to do and I really think it will mean so much to them down the road. I have visions of them using the same book for their own children, but I realize I'm getting a little ahead of myself... 

Today was the last day of school for the LM and I officially have a 2nd grader! Of course, I didn't get a picture to memorialize the day BUT I do have the book so I'm definitely making some progress!

I figured that for those of you who are still in school you may want to adopt this idea yourself, and remember it's never too late... there is always next year!


No comments :