Hi- Lo. Thanksgiving Edition.

Monday, November 30, 2009


In a nutshell the following were the highs and lows from Thanksgiving (not necessarily in the following order.)

Highs

  1. Food. Just when I thought I couldn't eat any more somehow I would. Turkey, turkey, turkey.... I now dream of turkey. Oh and pecan pie. I LOVE pecan pie.
  2. Uncle Chet's spiked egg nog. This started as a serious high, but soon landed me in the low column.
  3. This was by far the best trip we ever took the Little Man on. He was great on the plane, great on the drive, and amazing at his great grandma's house. No whining, no clinging to mom, no tears. I think he is finally at the age where he can be flexible enough to again join us on our adventures. I spent all day yesterday scheduling trips for us before baby number two comes. Disney World in February, back to California in March and then a family trip to Columbia (the country not the school) in July. Throw in our trip to Fiji in January and a possibly trip to India in April (for mom and dad only) and we are looking at a very busy next few months. The only thing slowing us down is the need to be here fore the IVF. Now I am really pulling for success in the first two months. Please, please, please, please.
  4. I finally saw New Moon. Even though it had only been out a week I was starting to feel as though I was the only super fan who had yet to see it. The movie? Not bad. Edward? So worth sitting though all the werewolf bs just to see him. Swoon.
  5. Family, family, and more family. I love my Husband's family; all 30 of them. Add in the fact that one of my very best friends is my sister-in-law and I had a great time seeing everyone. My sister-in-law and I also found a way to get into some trouble, mostly due to the egg nog. Hey, at this point it is tradition!
  6. I was able to pass on my love of Monopoly to the next generation. I am super/ hyper/ insanely competitive. No game allows me to be nastier than Monopoly. Not only did I get in some adult time, but I also brought the Jr. version for my Husband's little cousins. For 6 and 8 year old little girls they turned out to be quite the little sharks. I have never been happier to lose a game, repeatedly.
  7. Coming home. I love walking in my house after a trip. Love sleeping in my own bed, eating my own food, and just being in my own space. I think sometimes you have to leave to appreciate what you have when you get back.
  8. We can FINALLY start talking incessantly about Christmas aka "The most wonderful time of the year!" This year the gift giving is going to be small at best which means I can focus on the things I love the most: decorating the house and tree, making cookies, listening to christmas music, and watching movies re all things Christmas. Yes, I am an addict. No, I don't care.

Lows

  1. The food! Between the pastries, pies, and potatoes I ate way to much junk. I'm not one for cleanses but I seriously feel like I need to detox. Starting today, fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and no alcohol until my upcoming girls weekend starting Friday where the food/ alcohol cycle will begin again. That and yoga, yoga, yoga, yoga, yoga.
  2. Oh the egg nog. Man that stuff will really sneak up on you. There I was having a conversation, playing some monopoly, and drinking lots and lots of egg nog. Next thing I knew I was "sleeping" aka passed out on the kitchen table. After a 20 minute power nap I was able to rebound, but not before everyone saw me "sleeping." Lucky for me my sister-in-law was in the same boat. Whew.
  3. Sleeping with a two year old blows. I can't believe people do this by choice. He squirms all night, and wakes up more than anyone should. Not only that but he talks in his sleep (he definitely got that one from mom.) 3am he would yell out "juice box" or "fire truck." If I wasn't so damn tired it would have been really funny, but at 3 am not so much. Add in the fact he had a pretty nasty cough and not a lot of solid sleep was had by either of us.

As you can see the highs greatly outweighed the lows. I love this time of the year and am very grateful to be a part of such an amazing family. I hope you all had an equally fantastic Thanksgiving. Take it from me this holiday season....... stay away from the egg nog!


4 comments :

TheOnlineStylist said...

ooh it all sounds wonderful! Even some of the lows! And as of tomorrow you can seriously start the Christmas countdown with me... I am poised... decorations at the ready! x

Anonymous said...

Lovely trips! I would be cautious about India... especially if you are pregnant.

We live in southeast Asia and travel extensively (both when I was pregnant and now with our 2 year old), and I would not recommend it. It is amazing, but not somewhere I would be pregnant. There are so many other fabulous, exotic locales that I would be more comfortable with during pregnancy... just my experience :).

Jodi said...

FYI-I heard that Disney is best around four years of age BUT there are certain parts the younger kids enjoy and maybe he won't be afraid of the characters (I know that happens but might be with younger kids then LM). Good idea NOT going during the summer. You are brave!

IVF Clinic India said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!